pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] About Gnu-PDFlib and Poppler

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] About Gnu-PDFlib and Poppler
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 22:01:19 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, Terje Bråten wrote:

Would it speed up development of PDFlib if this project just copied some
code from poppler? Has anyone thought about that?

poppler is actually the library version of Xpdf rendering code +
improvements. So the API is fixed and comes from old code

gnu pdf is written from scratch, with maybe better API

note that there is another pdf library : mupdf, which is used by
ghostscript. Also written from scratch.

I just find it strange that when there is at least 3 free software pdf
libraries out there, all the work has to be done over again each time.

speed, memory consumption, etc.. All of that can be a reason to write another library. And sometimes, the design is such that you have to write another lib from scratch. For example, mupdf is better for embedded device (a *lot* faster) than poppler. I can't say about gnu pdf as, iirc, it's not working yet.

PDFLib: C, GPL3
poppler: C++, GPL2

How much code do you think they (can) technically and legally share?

Best
   Martin

Yes, I guess different language and different license are two main
problems. What about mupdf then? Well, I guess I can have look at that
myself later.

mupdf : C, GPL3

Vincent Torri