pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] About Gnu-PDFlib and Poppler

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] About Gnu-PDFlib and Poppler
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 21:43:38 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012, Terje Bråten wrote:

Hi PDF developers.

I was wondering, do Gnu-PDFlib and Poppler share some of the same code?
I guess since both are free software projects I guess it would be no
problem to "borrow" code from each other?

Are there at least some plans to provide some of the same API as poppler
for the application layer? It would be good if someone that wanted to
change from poppler to Gnu-PDFlib did have to change too much.

Would it speed up development of PDFlib if this project just copied some
code from poppler? Has anyone thought about that?

poppler is actually the library version of Xpdf rendering code + improvements. So the API is fixed and comes from old code

gnu pdf is written from scratch, with maybe better API

note that there is another pdf library : mupdf, which is used by ghostscript. Also written from scratch.

hth

Vincent Torri