pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Partial answer to Terje and a question to an active memb

From: Aleksander Morgado
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Partial answer to Terje and a question to an active member
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:17:49 +0100

Looking at the Wikipedia entry:

"As of 6 October 2011 it has been deprecated in favour of Poppler."

That is actually wrong. The only change for the GNU PDF development w.r.t to the FSF blog post is that it is no longer a 'high priority project' for them. The blog post, quite sadly, gives the wrong impression about everything. It is a quite unfortunate way of writing the blog post, from my POV.

Looking at the Poppler entry:

"... a complete implementation of ISO 32000-1, the PDF format standard ..."

I'd say that GNUPDF has been abandoned since there is already a free
implementation of the standard.

GNU PDF has quite a broader view in the requirements. Among them, it isn't only targeting PDF reading but also writing.

As for the slower activity lately; I can just say that it isn't any longer a 'high priority project' for me either, although I'll try to help if anyone gets more involved.

--
Aleksander