pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Initialization procedures

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Initialization procedures
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 15:26:47 +0200

Hi David.

   Since they should be called once at startup, I think we should hide
   the initialization procedures to the user. The `pdf_init' procedure
   can call them and avoid multiple calls. So, they should be described
   in the architecture manual indeed. This could be done to removing the
   BEGIN/END PUBLIC tags from initialization procedures. They would be
   exported yet and they could be called internally from others gnupdf
   modules, but they do not appear in the pdf.h header.

   Another way is to do these procedures allow multiple calls explicitly,
   so both the user and the library could initialize them when they are
   required.

What was initially intended was to export 'pdf_init' only, and to
require the user to use it before _any_ other funciton exported by
libgnupdf.  I still think that it is the best strategy.

   I can attach a patch for this if you think it is good.

Ok.  Please modify also the unit tests: they should use pdf_init and
not the module-specific functions, since we are only using the public
API.

---
Jose E. Marchesi    address@hidden
GNU Project         http://www.gnu.org