pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Moving...

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Moving...
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 17:11:58 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 09:33:57 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Jim Henderson posted on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 18:05:39 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> On Wed, 01 Jun 2016 13:01:31 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>>
>>> Today I'm moving... into a hotel for 90 days.  The city bought the
>>> property I've been renting part of, to level and make way for some
>>> larger project (there's a couple other properties around that are
>>> already cleared), and they're paying for 90 days temporary lodging in
>>> a hotel, after which we'll get permanent relocation assistance as
>>> well.
>>
>> Ouch - that stinks - though it's good that they're paying for the
>> lodging.
>>
>> Good luck with your move - we've just moved in to our new place this
>> past weekend after ~3 months in a temporary place ourselves (we were
>> waiting for construction to finish on our new place, as it was behind
>> schedule - in fact, they're in here now doing some of the final finish
>> work).
>>
>> The second move was much easier, since we unpacked only what we needed
>> -
>> but living out of boxes isn't a lot of fun.
>
> Obviously I finally got everything reattached and up and running at the
> hotel.  I don't know what speeds I get on the wifi yet, but it's good
> for this.
>
> I should be asleep but wanted to finish hooking things up and then get
> on line to let you guys know I'm back, so keepin' it short.  But yes,
> the second move should be easier.  The two big problems with the first
> were, (1) I've been in the same place for about 15 years, so had
> accumulated...
> (2) I was in a trailer, which I had pulled behind me the last couple
> times I moved, so didn't have the normal thinning out of stuff by
> throwing a bunch away at the move, those times.  Really, the last time I
> went thru everything in a move was the late 80s, tho I had gone thru
> some of it over the years.  But I threw a bunch of stuff out in the
> first move this time, and after sorting a bit more will be throwing out
> a bit more, incrementally anyway.  So I'm traveling /much/ lighter, now.
> =:^)
>
> I'd have actually thrown some more except I didn't know where I was
> moving after the hotel.  So I kept some stuff in case I needed it when I
> ultimately move out of the hotel.  We'll see.

That's impressive - it took us the better part of 4 years to go through
all of our stuff before our first move 2 years ago.  We went from 3000
sq. ft. on two floors to 1200.  The second was to our temporary place,
and we've just finished the third (everything's unpacked, and we're just
rehoming the empty boxes and packing material).

Welcome back!  I know the feeling about needing to get everything hooked
back up - I was almost a week without reliable Internet access here, and
I need to get cell coverage sorted (I have a hotspot, but GPS reception
here is terrible, and it reports it is in the wrong location, apparently).

Jim
--
 Jim Henderson