pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Trying to use 'new' Pan

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Trying to use 'new' Pan
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 19:34:04 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice Batey posted on Wed, 17 Apr 2013 17:13:06 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 03:21:28 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> 0.139 is pretty recent
>
>   The latest version on my 'production' machine (Mageia-2) is 0.135.
>
> Is there a list somewhere of the difference between 0.135 and 0.139?
>
> (Don't want to make the change to 0.135 and then find there are options
> missing that are in 0.139...)

In the changelog.  It's in the sources tarball of course, but you can get
it from pan's web page as well.  That is of course available from pan's
help menu, but it's not too hard to remember, either:

http://pan.rebelbase.com

Here's the direct changelog link:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/pan2/plain/ChangeLog

Of particular interest are the big list of new features in 0.136
including: attachment uploading support (with optional nzb creation), gpg
signing/encryption, SSL/TLS encrypted connection support (build-time-
option, some distros may disable), the new score-based auto-* actions
feature (with its own tab in preferences), and gnome-keyring password
support (build-time option, non-gnome distros may disable, previously and
disabled, pan stores the password in plaintext in the config file).

Releases after 0.136 have been mostly bugfix (and some of the new
features WERE rather buggy, so bugfixes are good!), tho there's colorized
group list support in 0.137, signature show/hide toggle and open-to-last-
read-post in 0.138, and clear-last-read-memory via middle-click in 0.139.

So 0.135 is missing all the new toys in 0.136 including the long awaited
attachment uploading and ssl/tls support along with auto* actions.  But
ssl support in particular took awhile to stabilize, so you'll likely want
0.139 if you plan on using that.

Also new but not mentioned in the changelog -- maybe in git-pan only at
this point: compressed header support.  This is a server feature not
standardized across servers so there's at least 2-3 variants "in the
wild" and it took a bit of time to get them all working, but AFAIK they
do all seem to be working with the latest git pan update.  (You can see
in my headers the git-commit I'm running.)

I didn't see the cache size GUI config option listed specifically in the
changelog; maybe it was under one of the "various improvements from
bugzilla" bullet-points, or maybe I simply didn't go back far enough.
But it's there in current git and I believe in 0.139.  It may well be
missing in 0.135 however, since the big change version seemed to be 0.136.