pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Trying to use 'new' Pan

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Trying to use 'new' Pan
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 02:05:23 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Zeff posted on Tue, 16 Apr 2013 11:08:51 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 04/16/2013 11:04 AM, Maurice Batey wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:41:13 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
>>
>>> And, I'd like to point out that the man's name is Duncan, not Shirley.
>>
>>    Uh?!
>>

> I take it, then, that you've never watched the movie "Airplane."

MB> Surely pan knows...

JZ> The man's name is Duncan, not Shirley

If I watched it, it's long shrouded in foggy memory, but the joke is old
and common enough that it's a matter of (USian at least) cultural
literacy now.  As with any cultural literacy reference, familiarity with
the general reference, if not the specifics, is assumed.

http://www.google.com/search?q=don%27t+call+me+shirley

Sort of like "Where's the beef?", or "I've fallen and I can't get up!",
or "Read my lips, no new taxes!", or with a bit more international
flavor, any reference to "Salman Rushdie" or "Satanic Verses".  Those are
all "cultural literacy" references that people of a particular culture
(and/or generation) can be assumed to have at least a passing familiarity
with the reference, even if they don't know the specifics.

A far more modern example would be Psy or Gangnam Style (youtube search
them if you need to), or his latest, Gentleman (aka "Mother Father
Gentleman!", the mv is a bit over the top in political incorrectness, but
that's rather the point!, youtube...).