pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Trying to use 'new' Pan

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Trying to use 'new' Pan
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:01:45 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice Batey posted on Tue, 16 Apr 2013 12:36:15 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:22:03 +0100, I wrote:
>
>> I've installed the Mageia-3 Pan 0.139.
>
>   Next problem is Posting Profiles.
>
> The Posting Profile pro-forma has an entry 'Post via <server>, which
> puzzles me.
>
> With 'old' Pan I had 3 profiles, two of which used a 'disguised' email
> address (one with short sig and one long), and the third (for gmane
> posting) a real address. No server mentioned.
>
> With 'new' pan does one need to define a Posting Profile for each
> server?
>
> What I would really like to be able to tell pan is:
>
> "If the server for a group is Gmane, use this sig, otherwise give me
> the choice of one of the other two."
>
> (I'm prepared to limit then to 2: One for Gmane, the other for all other
> servers!)

Remember, new-pan has a unified group list instead of the per-server list
old-pan had.  For groups that appear on multiple servers, that presents a
problem when you post to that group, as pan now has to figure out which
server to post to.

Putting that option in the posting profile was actually my idea, as
nobody had a better one, and while it isn't always intuitive to everyone,
each group already allowed selecting a posting profile in ordered to set
the sig, etc, and I reasoned that choosing a server to post to is a
posting setting, so could logically be grouped with and set by the same
method as other posting settings -- the posting profile.

So no, you don't need a posting profile for each server -- if you don't
intend to post anything to it.

But when you setup a posting profile, just as you choose what sig and
email address to use with that profile, you choose the server you'll use
to post to with that profile.

And for each group, you can change the posting profile, including the
server posted to, and pan will remember that choice for that group and
use it again automatically after that.

Hint:  Pan defaults to the first profile you setup.  If you have a huge
number of lists you'll be posting to and happened to setup the wrong
profile first so would need to change most of them, the fastest way to do
so might be to edit the order in the posting.xml file directly (with pan
not running, of course), reordering things there so a different profile
becomes the default for those that haven't a specific profile set yet.
Similarly, mass-changing a group preference including posting profile for
a whole bunch of groups where it has already been set, may well be most
easily accomplished via a global search and replace (using a sed script
or more conventional text editor as you prefer) in the
group-preferences.xml file.

The multi-select thing should work there too, but if you only want to
change one of the settings for the groups in question while keeping the
others as they are -- different from each other, the file-edit method's
probably easiest.