pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.99999999999999

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.99999999999999
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 10:25:10 +0000 (UTC)

Bob Davenport posted on Thu, 16 Jun 2011 02:27:34 -0500 as excerpted:

> Will there ever be the possibility of uploading binaries in Pan?
>
> As far as I can tell, there is no application that allows binary
> uploading under Linux.  I know that Agent can be run under wine, been
> there, done that.  But with the 1680 x 1050 screen resolution that I
> use, It is nearly impossible to read the menus.  I have also tried to
> install powerpost, with stunnel4 in wine also with no joy.
> Look at it this way,  Pan would be the only news reader under Linux that
> would offer binary posting, hopefully using yenc.
>
> greyebeard<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
> Transitional//EN"> <html>
>   <head>

[Please take the following in the it's OK to make the mistake,
just please don't do it again, way it's intended.  I'm NOT trying to
scare you away as for all I know you could become a long time regular,
helping many, and even if you don't, just the fact that you're a pan user
is good! =:^) I'm simply attempting to discourage behavior wildly
inconsiderate of others on the list.]

Let's see, you just broke at least two very important rules of news/list
posting there.

1) You posted in HTML.  There's a reason pan doesn't do HTML.  Any valid
message is just as valid in plain text as HTML, and HTML has long been
used by spammers, spyware and malware spreaders to (1) hide elements of
their spam to get thru the spamtraps, (2) attempt to monitor who and
where the readers are thru HTML web-bugs and the like, and (3) exploit
various security holes in clients in ordered to get their stuff run
automatically.  Even without that, if you use pan for anything
significant, you're certainly familiar with how ugly raw HTML looks in
it, and some of us use pan to read this list (thru gmane.org's list2news
service.

Therefore, if you MUST post in HTML elsewhere, please at LEAST refrain
from doing so on the pan lists!

2) A long held bit of netiquette for both lists and newsgroups is to read
at least a few days of previous posts before one posts themselves, thus
preventing one from making the embarrassing mistake of asking a question
either covered repeatedly or already active in an ongoing thread.  This
is preferably by simply following the list/group for awhile before
posting in ordered to get a sense of the group, its regulars and its
norms, before stepping in with your own posts, but it's also possible to
download from a group or check the archive of a list for the last few
days or preferably weeks of posts, and thus do in a few minutes what
would otherwise take you a few days of following the lists/groups to do.
However you found out about the list and signed up for it, it should have
been possible to read the archive of past discussion from very close to
the same place.

You *VERY* *OBVIOUSLY* failed to do this, as there's an active discussion
going on about the very topic you bring up.  There's little use in me or
anyone else repeating everything from that to bring you upto date here,
when it's just as easy for you to go back and check the list for
yourself.  Now, please go do what you SHOULD have done in the first
place, catch up on the existing discussion, THEN come back (sans HTML)
and become a valid contributor to it in your own right. =:^)

If you need a link to the list archives, how about the gmane archives,
available in both HTML and news format, from gmane.org, where the list is
carried as gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user ?  (Be sure and read the
information about posting on the gmane website, before trying to post
thru gmane, but a number of us regulars use it for both reading the list
and posting to it, using pan. =:^)

http://gmane.org  news.gmane.org