pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: New User Question

From: Dave
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: New User Question
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:12:16 +0000

On Sunday 30 January 2011, Duncan wrote:
> Juan Wei posted on Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:48:08 -0500 as excerpted:
> > Duncan has written on 1/29/2011 3:26 AM:
> >> Juan Wei posted on Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:19:23 -0500 as excerpted:

> >> Filters aren't on the menu line, and indeed, don't exist per se.
> >
> > I got that impression from http://pan.rebelbase.com/screenshots/read.png
> > where "Filter" is displayed between "View" and "Go".
>
> That's the old and no longer supported (tho like kde3, some still use it)
> pan 0.14 vintage series, from... 2004 or so and written in C.  A couple
> years later, on IIRC April 1 (April Fool's day, we thought it might be a
> joke at first), 2006, Charles released 0.90, the first of the C++ rewrite
> series that continued with nearly weekly betas for over a year, before he
> went into inactive mode once again (he always did seem to work in fits and
> spurts, going great guns for a few months, then nothing for six months or
> more), this time pretty much permanently, tho he did release one update,
> his last release, 0.133, on Aug 1, 2008 (one security fix and several
> updates to build against new library versions and with new gcc, one year
> to the day after 0.132).
>
> >> What pan
> >> uses instead of filters is "scoring".  Where filters are binary
> >> (killed/ normal, tho pan uses ignored in place of killed) or trinary
> >> (ignored/ normal/watched), scoring is much more flexible, allowing a
> >> range of values with incremental results such that any individual score
> >> might not result in an ignored or watched post, but the sum of several
> >> scores may still result in that.
> >
> > Thanks for the detailed explanation of scoring. As my wife would say,
> > TMI. All I'm looking for a way to prevent posts from certain individuals
> > from appearing in the list of articles.
> >
> > Can you help me with that?
>
> I did.  Reread the last post, paying attention to the information on the
> "ignore" functionality, really, -9999 (or below) scoring, as that's the
> way pan implements kill-filing.
>
> But very briefly restating: The "ignore author" option on the article menu
> is what you are looking for, altho whether "ignored" posts are actually
> hidden depends on the settings in the view, header-pane, sub-menu, as I
> explained in the previous post.

Duncan,

You know this lack of a manual for Pan?  If we complied all of your posts here
in the right order with a little subtle editing, we'd pretty much have a
manual by now.

Now, I'm not saying you're gobby or anything, just sayin'  LOL

Seriously though, your long and detailed replies are appreciated :-)
--
Dave