pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: New User Question

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: New User Question
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 08:26:43 +0000 (UTC)

Juan Wei posted on Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:19:23 -0500 as excerpted:

> I have the latest pan on Ubuntu 10.10 but it does not have a "Filters"
> thingy on the menu line.
>
> Don't I need that to make a "kill" file or is there another way?
>
> Thanks.

Filters aren't on the menu line, and indeed, don't exist per se.  What pan
uses instead of filters is "scoring".  Where filters are binary (killed/
normal, tho pan uses ignored in place of killed) or trinary (ignored/
normal/watched), scoring is much more flexible, allowing a range of values
with incremental results such that any individual score might not result
in an ignored or watched post, but the sum of several scores may still
result in that.

Of course it's still possible to play absolutist and ignore (defined in
pan as anything with a score -9999 or lower) or watch (+9999 or higher)
with a single score, if you want, and there's shortcut actions for that in
the articles menu (accessible either from the pull-down or in the context
menu when context-clicking on an article), scoring simply allows more
flexibility for those that want it, too.

Meanwhile, using scores, pan actually has several score "zones", as can be
seen in the preferences dialog on the colors tab and in the view menu,
header pane, match scores options.  I already mentioned three zones,
ignored/normal/watched, but there's actually a few more, as well.  From
worst/most-negative to best/most-positive, they are:

ignored         <=-9999
negative        -9998 to -1
normal/zero     0
medium          +1 to +4999
high            +5000 to +9998
watched         >=+9999

(Negative, normal, medium and high are my names.  pan itself doesn't label
those zones in any way, simply providing them as distinct view/color zones
by numeric score.)

By the way, it's worth noting that the scoring colors as set in prefs only
apply to the score column in the headers tab/pane.  If you don't have the
score column set to be shown, you won't see the color coding.  (Older pan
used to color the whole line.  I don't know why it doesn't any more, but
wish it still did.)

The way pan's view menu works can also be confusing.  Note that while it's
possible to select each scoring zone in the view/header-pane/match-score
section, even with ignored set to not match (thus not be shown), the match
articles/threads/subthreads setting also affects what's shown, and if you
have the match-threads option selected, few if any ignored posts will
actually fail to show up unless they are single posts not appearing in a
thread, because otherwise, other posts in the thread are likely to cause
the entire thread to be shown.  The sub-threads option has a similar but
less drastic effect.  Thus, the behavior isn't likely to be intuitive
(hide ignored if match articles <=-9999 is unchecked, for instance),
unless you have the articles/threads/subthreads selector set to articles
only.

Finally, note that simply because an article has a particular score
placing it in the ignored category does NOT mean pan automatically marks
it as read (or deletes it).  When certain score zones are set not to
display, it's often the case that after all visible posts are marked as
read, pan still registers posts in that group as unread.  This is due to
undisplayed posts.  If you have pan's options set to mark all posts read
on exiting the group or on exiting pan, you can do so and it should mark
them read.  If you don't (I don't, as keeping a post marked as unread
allows me to come back to it later when I have more time), and similarly
don't manually mark the group as read, the ignored posts will not be
marked as read unless you set pan to display them so you can see them to
mark them as read!  I find that rather frustrating, and at some point pan
/might/ get the option to automatically mark ignored posts as read (and
similarly, to automatically download watched posts), but it doesn't have
that ability at the moment.  So I simply keep the view set to match all
score zones, and use the score column (which I obviously have turned on)
color-coding to warn me.  I can then mark those posts read without ever
actually downloading them.  (Actually, in groups where a lot of posts are
scored to ignore, I'll often set view to ONLY match ignored posts right
after downloading new overviews/headers, select-all, which selects only
ignored posts since that's all that's displayed then, mark-as-read or
delete, then toggle the view to show everything again, and proceed as
normal.)

Hope that helps in understanding how pan works. =:^)