pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: [OT] Pan Docs 070101

From: Tim Kynerd
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: [OT] Pan Docs 070101
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 16:45:43 -0600

Graham wrote:
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 09:13:12 -0600
Tim Kynerd <address@hidden> wrote:

All of which is only the tip of a very large iceberg of linguistic irritation. ("Tow the line," for example, has been annoying me for
years.)
[snipped]

What's wrong with "tow the line"?  Its been used in the UK since there
were "navvies" on our canals....and it has a specific meaning.  So
what's the annoyance?
Assuming you're not joking, what is meant in the cases I'm talking about is in fact "toe the line," which means something entirely different.