pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Not following Gnome standard?

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Not following Gnome standard?
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 11:00:15 -0600

Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA wrote:

OK, I am no coder and it is none of my business, but don’t people who
want a GTk+ app tend to also use Gnome?  If one is one other desktop environment
one will want a native toolkit, unless it is, for example, a Gnome user forced
to use MS Windows at work but wanting an app consistent with his home system.
And even so, Novell seems to be solving the problem well with Evolution.

What I worry is that Pan (1) gets more complex, with more options to
set, (2) becames a lower common denominator app, (3) will end up being forked,
just as Firefox has its Gnome equivalent in Epiphany, (4) contributes to code
bloat in a running system.

Like, Pan is nice and I intend to continue to use it.  But if someone
forked it to use libgnome and libgnet and all that, I would have a simpler,
better performing system.  And there are already W32 alternatives for MS
Windows, and there will be probably Qt ones for KDE, GNUStep ones for GNUStep
and Mac OS, FLTK ones for XfCE…

I think I must be misunderstanding you, because this sounds like
insanity.  You seem to be suggesting that Pan drop Windows and OS X
support, force KDE users to use Gnome to configure Pan's preferred
applications, and add a dozen library prerequisites so that Pan
can sniff out your editor of choice automatically.

I'm also not understanding what you think gnet can do for Pan.

Charles