pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: How's 0.112 working for you?

From: Douglas Bollinger
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: How's 0.112 working for you?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:36:52 -0400

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 22:38:33 +0000 (UTC)
"Duncan" <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>
> OTOH, newsrc, tracking the posts read and those not,  THAT's the big
> problem here.  Pan crashes at the wrong time, and it's hundreds of posts
> to go thru in the text groups or thousands in the binary groups, trying to
> figure out whether they were supposed to be marked read or not, or in the
> binary groups, deleted or kept for further processing.
>
> Thus, I don't see what the big deal is on saving prefs, but read message
> tracking is a HUGE problem.

Yeah, I totally agree.  Prefs aren't a worry at all, but the newsrc file
should be saved whenever you switch groups just to be on the safe side because
you can easily lose a lot of work.  If the newsrc is saved when you switch
groups, then you also know how to easily trigger the save.

By now, it's probably too late to add such an evasive feature for 1.0, though.

--
Postulate: You get what you pay for.
Corollary: The cost of software is proportional to the quality.
From: Alan Hicks