pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: ANN: Pan 0.100 "Hey, I like this. Early Nothing!"

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: ANN: Pan 0.100 "Hey, I like this. Early Nothing!"
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:44:24 +0000 (UTC)

"Kevin Brammer" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Sun, 18 Jun 2006 08:36:02 -1000:

> Thanks for the latest release Charles.  :)
>
> Whenever I build these betas, I get a warning about not being able to
> find libgnome.  What does  libgnome provide the application?  Should I
> get it?

If GNOME is installed, PAN uses its browser prefs (which it reads using
libgnome). If it's not, it uses the $BROWSER environmental variable.

I initially merged (Gentoo-speak for installed) libgnome here, as the
Gentoo ebuild for 0.92 (which I initially copied, they don't keep up to
the latest but they had 0.92 and 0.94 and a rename to the current version
is normally all that's required to get it, unless you want to customize
it...) had it listed in deps.

However, I'm a KDE user not a GNOME user, and I don't have the rest of
GNOME merged, so there wasn't a GUI way to set the browser pref anyway.
I could have dug thru a bunch of documentation I suppose, and figured out
how and in what file to put the setting, but it was MUCH easier just to
unmerge libgnome and set the $BROWSER variable as appropriate.