pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.97 "Atoz and Tanda"

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.97 "Atoz and Tanda"
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 14:55:04 -0700

Duncan wrote:
> walt <address@hidden> posted
[...]

>> Thanks to your observations I just built 0.97 on my ~x86 (gentoo
>> unstable) box just out of curiosity.  I've noticed some distinct
>> differences in pan's behavior...

> All that said, I'd be interested in reading about your differences, just
> because I'm the curious type.  =8^)  Maybe they /will/ cause me to revert.

Here's one that really shocked me:  a while ago I posted that pan
refused to display messages which were cross-posted to a non-existent
newsgroup (e.g. gmane.test, which flags suspected spam by appending
the bogus group 'gmane.spam.detected' onto the end of the 'Newsgroups'
header.

I used a packet sniffer to discover that pan would stop and ask the
gmane server for 'GROUP gmane.spam.detected' and (of course) the
server would answer that there is no such group -- and pan would
just sit there forever and do nothing.

The gentoo-unstable box, by contrast, was not at all bothered by
the same situation.  Pan did not stop to ask for the bogus group,
it just displayed the message in the usual and proper way.

So -- what accounts for this very important difference?  Dunno!

Maybe Charles can speculate why pan should pause in the middle of
reading a cross-posted message to send a 'GROUP' request for another
group.