pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: bug in group selection

From: Kevin Brannen
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: bug in group selection
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:22:30 -0600

Duncan wrote:

Kevin Brannen posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:31:32 -0600:

In the current CVS code, there seems to be a bug in the group selection code.

So I highlighted the group, picked "Delete Group". It was gone. So far so good.

Then I change the group selecter from "Subscribed" to "All Groups" and in the find text entry I entered part of the group name to re-subscribe. Alas, that group does not show up anymore for me to highlight and subscribe!

As they say, that's not a bug, it's a FEATURE!  Seriously.

Yeah, right...pull the other one. :-)

You told it to delete the group, and that's exactly what the command does.
There are other options to delete the messages in the group, or to
unsubscribe, if that's what you want to do.  Delete the group does just
that -- deletes the group from the available group list, period.

I believe the delete group option is there to allow a parent, for
instance, to delete all the groups they don't want their kid to know about
or visit.

So I guess you're trying to tell me I should have picked "delete group's articles"? That doesn't sound totally right, but I can't see any other action that even comes close.

To get the deleted group back in your listing, try downloading the entire
group list (not just new groups) again.  That should reset the entire
list, putting it back in your list of available groups.  (I haven't
actually checked that it does, but I believe so.)

That does work. It's back. I've resubsribed and am pulling down new headers. Hmm, it won't show anything. I'm starting to suspect I have either major corruption in .pan; or since I'm using a CVS version it could be just general badness. (or both. :-) Hmm...

The files you were searching for in the ~/.pan dir are in
~/.pan/data/<servername>unsub.idx and .dat files.  The .dat file is the
grouplist.  The .idx file is the message-number tracker.  At least, that's
what it is in PAN 0.14.2.91.  CVS is rather changed in that area I've
read, but I'm not running it, so I don't know what its arrangement is.

Yes, and this difference may be my whole problem, which will probably only be fixed by moving .pan aside and starting again...sigh...

I was using the latest stable version (0.14.2). Then I decided to try out the CVS version because the stable version was slow and a RAM pig when looking at a newsgroup with over a million articles. The CVS version was quite a bit faster and leaner, but it must have changed the files in .pan. And the older pan does chastise me for using an older version of Pan.

Which leads to the question, is it possible to have 2 versions of Pan in use at the same time? Different .pan like dirs (--help doesn't show any such option)? Or just make them use different servers and be *very* careful of which server you pick because of the version of Pan you're using? Or what? Or "just don't do that!". :-)

(I need to go try out your upload script, hopefully Sat.)

Kevin