pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: bug in group selection

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: bug in group selection
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 04:09:45 -0700

Kevin Brannen posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:31:32 -0600:

> In the current CVS code, there seems to be a bug in the group selection
> code.
>
> So I highlighted the group, picked "Delete Group".  It was gone.  So far
> so good.
>
> Then I change the group selecter from "Subscribed" to "All Groups" and
> in the find text entry I entered part of the group name to
> re-subscribe.  Alas, that group does not show up anymore for me to
> highlight and subscribe!

As they say, that's not a bug, it's a FEATURE!  Seriously.

You told it to delete the group, and that's exactly what the command does.
There are other options to delete the messages in the group, or to
unsubscribe, if that's what you want to do.  Delete the group does just
that -- deletes the group from the available group list, period.

I believe the delete group option is there to allow a parent, for
instance, to delete all the groups they don't want their kid to know about
or visit.

To get the deleted group back in your listing, try downloading the entire
group list (not just new groups) again.  That should reset the entire
list, putting it back in your list of available groups.  (I haven't
actually checked that it does, but I believe so.)

The files you were searching for in the ~/.pan dir are in
~/.pan/data/<servername>unsub.idx and .dat files.  The .dat file is the
grouplist.  The .idx file is the message-number tracker.  At least, that's
what it is in PAN 0.14.2.91.  CVS is rather changed in that area I've
read, but I'm not running it, so I don't know what its arrangement is.