pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: bug in group selection

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: bug in group selection
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 02:48:44 -0700

Kevin Brannen posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:22:30 -0600:

> Which leads to the question, is it possible to have 2 versions of Pan in
> use at the same time?  Different .pan like dirs (--help doesn't show any
> such option)?  Or just make them use different servers and be *very*
> careful of which server you pick because of the version of Pan you're
> using?  Or what?  Or "just don't do that!". :-)

You may wish to look into klibido for binary downloads.  That's what I've
been using for awhile, in part because it's true multi-server (automated).

Answering your question, it /might/ be possible to run two versions of PAN
/at/ /the/ /same/ /time/ using different servers, but I'd NOT recommend
it.  That's just /begging/ for all /sorts/ of database corruption and
trouble, from my perspective.

OTOH, it *IS* possible to ALTERNATE versions.  Create two pan-version (or
whatever) dirs, then make ~/.pan a symlink to one or the other.  You could
even create a script that changes the symlink before  launching the
appropriate PAN executable, and then simply launch the appropriate script,
rather than launching either PAN directly.  That's the sort of solution
I'd use under the circumstances.  In fact, since you are creating a script
already, you could even make it check to see whether either version of PAN
is already running, and refuse to change the symlink or run a new one if
so, thus making SURE you don't accidentally change the symlink out from a
running version, as that would /not/ be a good thing! =8^P