pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Per group UI settings

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Per group UI settings
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:10:44 -0700

Samuli Kärkkäinen posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Sat, 15 Nov 2003 19:22:19 +0200:

> This is a fairly sizable feature request, but I keep wanting the ability
> to have UI settings depend on the group. In some groups, I give most of
> the screen space to the header pane, and have the font in body pane small.
> In others, the body pane should be larger and its font bigger so as to
> make reading articles easier; in this case, the header pane columns need
> to be narrower. Furthermore, the typical subject length differs between
> groups, so I'd like pan to remember the widths of header pane columns per
> group.
>
> Clearly there is a UI problem with how to determine when user wants the
> change to any of these things to apply to all groups, and when to only one
> specific group. I can't offer suggestions to that problem, but I'd like
> the developers to know that at least I would like this feature in some
> form.

That is a cool and quite usable feature request, I agree.  I'm not a coder
(yet?) enough to have delved into PAN internals to see just how big a
change this would be, but it isn't out of the realm of practicality,
certainly, and my guess is that it could be added at some point.  When
that point will be, unless a coder likes the idea well enough to submit
patches and/or Charles and Chris find the idea either trivial to implement
or interesting enough to do it now, is open to question.  Of course, if
you are such a coder and have the interest.. patches of this nature tend
to be welcomed.  <g>

Benjamin Franklin