pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Keyboard Navigation

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Keyboard Navigation
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:02:09 -0700

Bryan Anderson posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:30:54 +0000:

> Lenroc wrote:
>
>> Enter and return work for me.
>
> D'oh - sometimes the simplest things are the one's that you forget to try!
> Enter does the job perfectly (if it means two key presses). I've never got
> on with keys for 'next unread' or anything like that - I'm a
> stick-in-the-mud for manually running down the list, deleting what I'm not
> interested in and keeping the rest.

Note also that the keyboard shortcuts are all configurable.  Thus, if you
don't use a command with a keyboard shortcut you want, delete it there and
assign it to the function you want to have that shortcut.

This won't solve all the problems, but if you use a combo of two commands
that are both three-key (ctrl-shft-whatever) together enough frequently,
making each of them a single key function, and putting the two shortcuts
next to each other on the keyboard, could be quite helpful.

Most keyboard mapping can be done by hovering over the menu item with the
mouse and hitting either delete to delete the current shortcut, or your
particular combo to enable the new one.  There are exceptions, such as
when you want to make it a simple single-key shortcut, and that key
happens to be the accelerator key in the menu as well.  In that case, the
menu accelerator will grab the key and the shortcut maker won't see it.
You can't enter those from the gui, but you can still edit the text file
to change them.  (As with all PAN settings, it should be under
~/.pan/data/ .  The filename is accels.txt or some such, from memory.
This is of course for Linux/*ix.  I don't use proprietary-ware or do
windows aka MSWormOS any longer, so haven't the foggiest how it works
there.)

Benjamin Franklin