pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] grumble: ran out of disk space, and then I quit pan

From: Torstein Sunde
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] grumble: ran out of disk space, and then I quit pan
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:26:23 +0200

Johan Ovlinger wrote:
> [...]
> BIG MISTAKE. Apparently, pan doesn't verify that there is enough room
> left before writing info, so the config.xml file got trashed. So I had
> to remember all the groups I had substribed to and resubscribe.
>
> In general I wish there was a good heuristic to deal with tight
> spaces: for example, there is little point downloading a 20MB
> attachment if you only have 35MB free:  [...]

I agree.

One thing Pan could do when there's little disk space, is removing
old articles from the cache.

I'd also suggest deleting saved articles from the disk cache (after
each article or attachment has been *successfully* saved).  There's
very little need for caching an article that's already saved.  This
suggestion would ensure that smaller, unsaved text articles remain
much longer in the cache.