pan-users

[Pan-users] grumble: ran out of disk space, and then I quit pan

From: Johan Ovlinger
Subject: [Pan-users] grumble: ran out of disk space, and then I quit pan
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:11:00 -0400

So I may have queued up a few articles too many before I went to
bed. The next morning, I discovered that I'd filled the disk, so I
quit pan, and started trimming unnecessaries.

BIG MISTAKE. Apparently, pan doesn't verify that there is enough room
left before writing info, so the config.xml file got trashed. So I had
to remember all the groups I had substribed to and resubscribe.

In general I wish there was a good heuristic to deal with tight
spaces: for example, there is little point downloading a 20MB
attachment if you only have 35MB free: the downloaded articles and the
decompressed file won't both fit... unless you incrementally unpack
the binaries, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyways, regardless of what smarts I wish pan had about predicting
overflow (after all, perhaps another process is to blame), it would be
really nice if it didn't trash config.xml when the disk is full.

Johan