Re: [Openvortex-dev] [Fwd: Re: [Alsa-devel] AC97 codec odd behaviour (ST

From: Ryan Underwood
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] [Fwd: Re: [Alsa-devel] AC97 codec odd behaviour (STAC9708/11) / Aureal Card IS SUPPORTED!]
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:44:42 -0500

Hi Manuel

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:33:39AM -0400, Manuel Jander wrote:

> > I'm facing some odd things with a Aureal MX300 with a
> > AC97 codec. For some reason the AC97 interface doesnt
> > set the EAPD (external amp enable) bit correctly, and i have
> > to set it explicitly after calling the ac97  mixer initializer.
> >
> > Maybe, that the AC97 codec write function actually implemented
> > for the Aureal cards "misses" some writes, but i just want to be sure
> > if this bit works for other cards with a STAC9708/11 or similar
> > codec that need this bit by default, or if i really need to set it
> > myself ??
>
> i recommend you to do this in the card driver level.
>
> the use of EAPD is dependent upon the devices.  also, some uses EAPD
> pin for different purposes...

I agree.  Let us set the default EAPD according to the card type in the
au88x0_mixer.c initialization.  The user will still have control over
the setting through alsamixer since the codec_write function has been
recently repaired.

Unfortunately, there is no response yet to the stac9708 patch I posted
on alsa-devel.  I really wish I knew the right names to name those
controls, but they are pretty strange controls and I couldn't find
anything comparable that already existed.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253