[Openvortex-dev] Ryan's patch

From: O.Sezer
Subject: [Openvortex-dev] Ryan's patch
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:05:35 +0300

Hi Ryan, all:

I compiled 0.9.4 with your patches applied only to test
if something broke. During compilation I got:

In file included from au8810_mixer.c:2:
au88x0_mixer.c: In function `snd_vortex_mixer':
au88x0_mixer.c:20: warning: assignment from incompatible
pointer type

Upon starting alsa, the "low volume" issue was back
again, therefore I backed those parts changing
au88x0_mixer.c out, and the volume is good again.

OTOH I now discovered the "External Amplifier Power Down"
part in alsamixer, and if that is supposed to be fixing
the low volume issue without the au88x0_mixer.c hack,
then tell me and I'll test again.

And yes, the 3D control / surround switches seem
operational in alsamixer. I'll need to test their
functionality more, though.

BTW, I've been whining about the clicks in xmms+alsa
plugin and decided to try alsaplayer: To my surprise
it was just fine: No clicks and/or the "very faster
playback". If I were to assume that alsa plugin for
xmms  is broken, it also should mean that alsa-utils
package is also broken, because the same issues are
also present if I use the command-line aplay utility.
MPlayer and Xine are also fine with their alsa
plugins. Oh well...

If that matters, my hardware setup is below:

* ASUS P3V4X board + intel Cu-mine 733 (133x5.5)
* Diamond MX300 + Creative WaveBlaster 2
* running with the "setpci -v -d '12eb:*' 40.B=ff" (in rc.local)
  (can't, otherwise; an evil GeForce3 Ti200 is also in the box)
* MX300 is at irq5 (shared with usb-uhci, but not using
  any usb device)
* Can send lspci etc if requested.

Alsa/sound related software are:
alsa-utils :  0.9.4