Re: [Openexr-devel] EXIF meta data attributes in headers

From: Peter Hillman
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] EXIF meta data attributes in headers
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 12:58:37 +1200

What extra info do you get from the ICC profile?

Allowing ICC profiles worries me. Aren't EXRs supposed to store pixel values in "input scene referred linear-light" encoded with the chromaticities specified? That means images must be linearised before storing in an EXR.

As I understand the ICC workflow (which admittedly is only very slightly), the profile encodes the mapping between the stored pixel values and the input or output response. That implies the image encoding can be something other than "input scene referred linear light". If you start allowing ICC profiles in EXRs, you get ambiguity about how the data is meant to be interpreted. Even if the ICC profile was meant to be purely informational, so you know how the original camera encoded the data, there's still a danger that some helpful package will offer to interpret the transform in the profile and encode the data, or offer the ability to write sRGB encoded EXRs with an ICC profile, and then suddenly the EXR standard gets broken.

Ambiguity in metadata is annoying but tolerable; ambiguity in how to read or write the image is far more worrying.

If there's other useful info in the ICC profile, then lets extract it and store it in new standard attributes.