Re: [Openexr-devel] EXIF meta data attributes in headers

From: Thomas Mansencal
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] EXIF meta data attributes in headers
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:10:28 +0100

Hi Lars,

CCIng back the mailing list that got lost.

exiftool can extract them using the following parameters:

exiftool -xmp -b _MG7890.dng

However I ran into something very annoying: Basically when I convert a CR2 file into DNG using Adobe DNG Converter, the essential exif data is not propagated to the embeded XMP data which is not the case when using Bridge / Camera Raw with the generated sidecar XMP.

Here are some various XMP data generated by different process:

- Conversion of a CR2 file with Adobe DNG Converter:
https://gist.github.com/KelSolaar/6027430
See how there is nothing related to camera data? Exposure, focal length, etc...

- XMP Sidecar generated by Bridge / Camera Raw:
https://gist.github.com/KelSolaar/6027420
Now we have the relevant exif attributes.

- Dng editing in Bridge / Camera Raw:
https://gist.github.com/KelSolaar/6027452
A lot of development data but no exif relevant data.

So question is: Is there a way to easily propagate / convert the exif data to xmp.

The ideal workflow if Open Exr was to use XMP as I "see" it would be something like that: Given a CR2 / DNG file, a command line tool ( Like exiftool ) could be run to create / update the Open EXR file XMP attribute with the data from the source files BUT this data would need to include the relevant EXIF tags.

Thomas

Thomas Mansencal | thomasmansencal.com
[  thomasmansencal.blogspot.com  |  github.com/KelSolaar  ]