Re: [Openexr-devel] CTL Licence

From: Ton Roosendaal
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] CTL Licence
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:56:22 +0100

Hi,

Blender (GNU GPL) is being distributed with Openexr linked in... if the FSF decides that's violating the GPL we do have a problem!

-Ton-

On 6 Dec, 2007, at 1:48, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Florian Kainz wrote:

I don't see how an FSF sysadmin's refusal to host CTL at the
Savannah web site settles the question whether CTL can be linked
with a GPL-licensed program.

In case there is any confusion, GPL does not place restrictions on the use of software. Whoever does the build can link GPL code to anything he wants and can modify GPL code to his heart's content without giving the changes away. GPL only applies restrictions for the case that binaries (derived works) are distributed. The basic GPL principle is that each recipient of the binaries should have the same ability and rights to build and distribute that the person who built the binaries had.

Personally I feel that the clauses in question are quite reasonable.
The Academy is giving CTL away for free; if you use CTL and then decide
to sue them over it, they demand you to go to a court in California
(where their offices are) rather than in France (where it is really
inconvenient for them).  And just because they are giving CTL away,
that doesn't mean they are giving up unrelated patents and trademarks
such as the Oscar.

While the clauses are quite reasonable (to me), they do specify that the laws pertaining to California will be applied to anyone in the world who uses the software. The FSF believes that any user should enjoy the full rights available in the location the user lives.

Bob