Re: [Openexr-devel] CTL Licence

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] CTL Licence
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 13:59:41 -0800

Hi Cyrille,

I don't see how an FSF sysadmin's refusal to host CTL at the
Savannah web site settles the question whether CTL can be linked
with a GPL-licensed program.

Anyway, I am not qualified to answer your question, and I am not
in a position to change the license either.  If you want to settle
your question with some level of confidence, you should contact the
FSF and ask them if, in their opinion, CTL can be used in your project,
if the anwser is no, why not.  If you feel that the CTL license should
be changed, please contact the Science and Technology Council at the
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Personally I feel that the clauses in question are quite reasonable.
The Academy is giving CTL away for free; if you use CTL and then decide
to sue them over it, they demand you to go to a court in California
(where their offices are) rather than in France (where it is really
inconvenient for them).  And just because they are giving CTL away,
that doesn't mean they are giving up unrelated patents and trademarks
such as the Oscar.

Florian