Re: [Openexr-devel] half

From: Drew Hess
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] half
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:24:11 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Paul Schneider wrote:

> I agree.  It's pretty slow on my Mac (733 Mhz), and it's pretty darn
> noticeable on my Linux machine as well (1.8 Ghz).  This step is
> automatic with the unix make system; I'm sure it's possible to automate
> it in VC++ as well.

I've already fixed this in my VC++ 6.0 project.  It's basically just a
post-build step that runs the eLut or toFloat executable and redirects
stdout to a .h file, just like the GNU autoconf build system does.  I
tested it this morning and it's working fine.

> I think Jukka also mentioned replacing the system-style includes
> (#include <file>) with user-style includes (#include "file").  I'm
> actually for this - we consider EXR a "standard" library at ILM, but I
> think most 3rd party developers will install it as part of their own
> code, not as a system-level thing.  Unix style compilers (cc, gcc)
> don't differentiate between the two at all, as far as I know, but other
> development systems definitely do, and while it's possible to tell the
> system where to look, it's one more thing to be aware of when trying to
> get the source to build on different systems.  Comments?

OpenEXR libs may become a standard part of the system on Debian GNU/Linux,
for example.  Need to think about this and see what the GNU/Linux
filesystem standard says about it, at least.

-dwh-