[Openexr-devel] half

From: Jukka Liimatta
Subject: [Openexr-devel] half
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 09:04:24 +0200

Been awfully quiet here lately ; I haven't heard how far the Visual C++ .NET
(7.x) port has progressed, but since I needed the Half/* source tree in own
project (DirectX 9 related), I fixed the files to compile with VC++.NET.

In the same stroke I removed the two .cpp files to generate the two header
files used for lookup tables in the half.cpp for float <-> half conversion
(the 16 bit half->float table and the float->half exponent table). I noticed
the half.cpp already does initialize a dummy bool to force self-test being
executed when the translation unit is initialized by the c++ runtime.

So Before selftest is performend, the lookup tables are initialized.. this
eliminates nicely the requirement for separate compilation for the modules
to generate the headers. I just like this way better, feedback is
appreciated.

I also made the inclusion of <half.h> to use the local filename instead,
"half.h" as the cpp files and headers are in the same folder.. this is
quicker for the compiler and doesn't require the include path to be set for
the compiler (or passed as -I to the compiler either).

Oh, also fixed the deprecated headers such as <assert.h> -> <cassert>, and
equivalent.. g++ 2.95.x / 3.2.x, MIPSpro 7.3.x and others should be fairly
up-to-date regarding this.

The proposed versions of the files are at:

www.liimatta.org/misc/half.zip

Feedback is appreacited, it would be nice to know if my work was in vain or
will not be considered, or the work already been done, whatever.. I did
quite a bit of work to port the library to VC++.NET few weeks back, just to
find out the work already been done so it would be cool to get access to the
latest snapshots or something like that to work with fresher files.

Apologies for stepping into anyone's toes.. that's furthest thing I would
like to do, just found the half.cpp and half.h -very- useful in practical
applications outside the OpenEXR domain (in open source project though). I'd
gladly also use the OpenEXR when the Windows port is stable (and offer help
in anyway I can to make this to be realized sooner).

Jukka T. Liimatta
Twilight 3D Finland Ltd
address@hidden

http://www.twilight3d.com