Re: [Openexr-devel] half

From: Jukka Liimatta
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] half
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:29:57 +0200

> I've been off working on some other projects unrelated to OpenEXR, but
> I'll be spending some time on the OpenEXR Windows port this week.

Forget what I said about "a couple of days" in my previous reply, I'll do
this away straight away so that don't have to do it later. ;-)

How you want me to make the solution file hierarchy for vc7? Currently what
I have, is like this:

"project root"
  openexr/Half/
  openexr/...the rest..
  openexr/...etc...
  zlib/  <- zlib stuff here for vc7..
  vs7/ <- visual studio 7 solution for openexr

In otherwords, I have a primary solution under vs7, which I load and hit
"recompile" everything and get the library out (except I don't, since I
haven't fixed everything.. and the changes I made into Half/ will be also
re-done by you, which is 100% okay for me, the Half/ already works great for
me.. good, solid code!

Why I btw. developed the "init lookup tables in cruntime library init" is
that it's just plain less fuss in vc7 not to have separate pre- and post-
build steps, but that each translation unit has from the start everything it
needs for compilation. This is a bit against common practise in *NIX
systems, where makefile's are setup to do whatever post and pre build steps
you need.. say, compiling files and running the executables to generate the
headers.

I can try to simulate the very same in vc7, but the trouble is that it's
going to be tricky to actually test before all headers and so pass the
compilation. But first things first.. where you prefer the vc7/ solution and
project files to be? It won't be trouble at all if you want separate
solution under each openexr/ component, like Half has it's own solution,
etc. It'll just be more hassle for the person compiling everything to
separately click through the folders and load workspaces and compile things.
I like the "press compile and wait" -approach.. personal preference. It's
also possible to have only project files in the exr component folders, and
master solution to include them all someplace else.. so many ways to do
things..

So... how YOU prefer this handled? I'm ready for doing it anyway you like.
It might also be preferrable to you if you get hands-on feeling of this
yourself and decide after you know what's the deal & do it yourself, it's
only a few minutes when you know what you are doing, that's why I'm kind of
offering my services -- heck, writing THIS already took longer. Tell me how
you want it and I'll jump on it asap. ;-)

Jukka