Re: Problems merging stable to gui-release

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Problems merging stable to gui-release
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 00:11:21 -0600

On 01/27/2014 04:16 PM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
Daniel Sebald wrote
The merging topic brings to mind TortoiseHG.  I'm curious how many
people use that.  It's actually kind of nice.  That is, I should say the
2+ series; the version 1 series really doesn't seem to be much and its
interface wasn't laid out in a nice way.  For Windows, TortoiseHG is
indispensable because, hey, it's Windows.

I've used TortoiseHg for a while on Windows but didn't like it that much,
the main reason (just personal taste):
Thg requires a Windows service running just to manage file icons in the
Explorer (file browser). I'm not very pleased by the plethora of Windows
proggies each requiring their own service silently started behind one's
back, occupying system slots, memory and whatnot even if not actively using
the program it belongs to.
TortoiseSVN doesn't seem to need that service to manage its icons.

I know what you mean by shadowy programs (the amount of web flash programs have become excessive). In this case, I can't imagine that the TortoiseHg service is too CPU or memory consuming. In some sense, TortoiseHg is actively using mercurial. With every save/copy file activity, the service must be running mercurial on the files to know what the icon should be. It isn't much different than the navigator's behavior whereby image icons (PNG, JPEG, etc) are updated in the navigator upon saving the file. I'm guessing system resources are on that level.

If it is a service, one can probably disable it easy enough, I would think. In Linux, TortoiseHg comes in two separate parts, one is the Hg workbench and a second is the Nautilus add-on. I assume without Nautilus add-on there is no icon management.

Dan