Re: Problems merging stable to gui-release

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Problems merging stable to gui-release
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 10:34:52 -0600

The merging topic brings to mind TortoiseHG. I'm curious how many people use that. It's actually kind of nice. That is, I should say the 2+ series; the version 1 series really doesn't seem to be much and its interface wasn't laid out in a nice way. For Windows, TortoiseHG is indispensable because, hey, it's Windows. There is a python shell for Linux as well, but I haven't used thg for Linux much at all.

The nice features are:

1) Multiple hg projects "open" at once. This is good for the case of local changesets for which one wants to correct something a few changesets back. It's pretty convenient to export changesets and apply them to a fresh clone that doesn't have the bad changeset and correct things along the way, copy the comments back and forth, so on.

2) Ability to selectively leave code hunks out of changeset. I find this probably the most useful. When one is working it is common to come across a bug that is unrelated to the task at hand and should be a separate patch. When it comes time to commit, just de-select via checkbox the code hunks that should be in a separate changeset. After that changeset, then collect the leftover scraps into another changeset.

3) Launch kdiff3 with right mouse click. Although TortoiseHg has its own convenient code diff window. The kdiff3 is much better at showing context and differences within the lines themselves. I haven't found kdiff3 that great for merging, however. It seems kind of confusing when there are three columns shown. Perhaps it is just that I need to get used to it, but I've seen merge tools for other programs (e.g., Perforce) that are much more clear.

Dan