Re: GUI doesn't appear when using ./run-octave

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: GUI doesn't appear when using ./run-octave
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 10:32:31 +0200

On 16.09.2012 23:41, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
> And what if users have several versions of Octave installed (and use
> them), each version depending on/expecting its own qt-settings file
> format/-contents.

It would be no problem to insert VERSION into the settings path but then
every new octave version would come up with the default settings.

What about a command line option that controls which other settings file
is used, e.g. --settings-file FILE? This would allow working with
several profiles even for the same octave version. The compatibility of
the settings file between different octave versions should be no problem
(AFAIK) as long as we do not start to use the same entry names for
different purposes.

Another question in this context is whether the location of the settings
file should be hard coded like now (only depending on the home path) or
whether qt should decide where to store the ini-file. The latter case
might be more convenient for windows users without changing the location
on Unix and Mac OS.

Torsten