Re: GUI doesn't appear when using ./run-octave

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: GUI doesn't appear when using ./run-octave
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:50:04 -0500

On 09/16/2012 02:13 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 09/16/2012 01:44 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

1) Should we be redirecting STDERR away from the console? I can see
redirecting STDIN and STDOUT to make the Octave terminal window function
properly. But I think I'd prefer to have STDERR stay directed to the
console. With all the GUI unix things I'm often seeing verbose error
messages appearing on the console, like "This font not found/that font
not found/etc."

It would be very nice to do this. With STDERR reactivated, once I saw a
whole stream of errors upon exit that I hadn't seen before. (Couldn't
repeat it.) I just think it would be more helpful for us in the short
term (and probably when people submit bug reports) to have STDERR go
somewhere visible. Plus, if there are Qt font warnings, I don't think we
want that streaming into the Octave terminal inside the GUIDE+O.

The problem is, the redirection of STDERR appears to be done in some
library using dup2() that isn't in the Octave mercurial repository
(i.e., the "unix" subdirectory).

Just to followup on this, I thought of redirecting STDERR back to the console after calling the library code that redirects it to the Qt command window. The unfortunate side effect is that the pager doesn't function properly. The Qt command window won't accept a keyboard hit. Instead, one has to go to the console and strike keys there. Seems strange, but apparently the pager is using STDERR somehow. Does that sound right?

It's interesting to note this because of the command window freezing temporarily that I often see after paging. Anyway, think of how and where you would like error messages to appear.

Dan