Re: GUI doesn't appear when using ./run-octave

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: GUI doesn't appear when using ./run-octave
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 17:28:06 -0400

On 09/23/2012 02:42 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 09/23/2012 11:19 AM, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:
On 09/23/2012 11:33 AM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
Still, Octave refused to properly startup, which could be fixed by
removing the qt-settings file from an earlier version. So, somehow
Qt's mechanism as it is implemented in Octave is unreliable.

Were you running the latest from the repository?  There was a bug when the Qt settings contained file names for the editor to open.  The file_edit_tab was failing to delete a lexer when loading a new file so there was a lexer object hanging around attached to something that no longer existed.

An obvious guess at the cause would be a setting (or some settings)
that confuse(s) Octave's GUI. Maybe they contained mutually exclusive
info or so; or -as you seem to suggest- a setting name was reused for
another setting type (such a mix-up would be sloppy at best).

GUIDE+O should be able to make some sense of an old settings file. Right now, the old settings isn't so much the problem as is the presence of some bugs in the code.  There are several I'm aware of because, as Michael noted, I've temporarily routed the STDERR to somewhere I can observe what is happening.

A more robust system is needed to keep track across Octave versions of
which settings file entries are used for what settings, and to help
Octave avoid stumbling across inconsistencies there.

Philip
I just had similar experience:

1. Started octave (current devel system on Fedora 17 x86_64). It failed
to start properly.
2. Removed the qt_settings file.
3. Started octave, which came up in full screen mode. Not an appropriate
choice, in my view.
4. I tried left clicking on one of the previous commands in the command
history
panel on the left. Octave shut down without any indication of cause.

I think this is where there might be a bug, i.e., the input and output of the command window.  That is, stdin, stdout, stderr might not be coordinated just right yet.

 It
would
help debugging if some indication of the cause could be written somewhere
when the system crashes.

One of the first things we should work out is not redirecting STDERR to the GUIDE+O command window.  Instead leave that to go to the console window.  That will do two things: one, keep innocuous Qt warnings (missing fonts, etc.) from showing up in the command window; two, put errors to the console so that when GUIDE+O crashes we have some form of a trace of what might have happened.  Unfortunately, it isn't so simple because the pager seems to need STDERR in some way.  If STDERR is not redirected, when the pager comes up in the command window, keyboard hits must be done in the console window...

Oh, as I say this just now, that may be a lead on the strange behavior (bug?) of the command window.  Although the GUI is redirecting STDIN/STDOUT/STDERR for Octave core, that might not necessarily mean the pager is configured that way in a coordinated manner.  Perhaps Octave core needs to set up the pager I/O the way Octave's I/O is currently set up.  Just a thought.

Anyway, GUIDE behavior is going to be dodgy for a couple weeks as overlapping bugs are stripped away.

Dan
It is good to work on the outstanding bugs, but it would help a lot if we knew what the intended
behavior is.  This means, it would help a lot if there were documentation which specified what
is intended.  Then, we could understand the intend and arrange tests to see if the results match
the intent.  After that we could have a useful discussion about how this should best work.  Since
right now I have no idea what is intended I have no real idea whether what I see is a bug or not.

Michael