Re: Possible mentor for Summer of Code project

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: Possible mentor for Summer of Code project
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 16:20:18 +0200

On 04/05/11 16:04, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
2011/4/5 Daniel Kraft<address@hidden>:
On 04/05/11 00:13, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

I got a response from Ralf Wildenhues that he likes the idea, so my
question is:  Does anyone want to mentor, in case the application
gets accepted?

Jaroslav had said he would like to mentor, but he seems to be busy
with his day job nowadays.

Regarding a mentor, I believe that the most important part is to
have someone "officially" mentoring the proposal

I can provide basic guidance around the Octave sources. If that's all
that a mentor officially needs to be and we can still rely on the
mailing list at large to answer specific questions about profiling
then I can do it. My understanding, however, was that the mentor also
had to go through the application process, so Google will probably
want to see a mentor like Jaroslav who could help with the specific
questions. Can you confirm or deny?

Since I (of course) never was a mentor myself, I can not provide "definite" answers. But appart from that, I'm pretty sure that from Google's side it is entirely the organization's choice who mentors whom. I think that a real application-and-acceptance thing is there only for the organizations and now the students.

So I think that what is necessary is that in case my proposal gets accepted by the GNU people deciding on that (whoever that is) there's someone willing to be officially the mentor; from my side, I'm completely ok with asking the mailing list for help on specific questions, so I wouldn't have any problem with you doing the mentoring.

Overall, I think with your commitment as above or possibly Jaroslav stepping in, this should be fine and hopefully enough in order to consider my proposal ;)

Yours,
Daniel

--
http://www.pro-vegan.info/