nuxeo-localizer

Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] Translation of Zope core (2.6)

From: Juan David Ibáñez Palomar
Subject: Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] Translation of Zope core (2.6)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:30:21 +0100

Hi,
Has anybody made any attempts on translating Zope?

There was mainly one attempt, a while ago, with zzLocale.
It failed, mainly because the approach of zzLocale wasn't very good.

I think it might be a bit to old. I'll have a look at it though. Thanks.

It's a waste of time, it was a long time ago, maybe for Zope
2.3, I don't remember. And if it failed was for a reason, the
technology didn't let to separate the internationalization
and localization processes.

I'm considering making a translated version of Zope 2.6.0,
possibly as a SourceForge project.

The main problem will be to keep in sync with Zope development.
But it is feasible, there aren't so many screens in the management
interface.

I recently realist just what :-)
If there only will be two major Zope releases in the future (Zope 2.6 and Zope 2.7) I think it will be worth the effort.

I bet there will be a Zope 2.8 release, but yes, it would be an
interesting project, maybe I will contribute myself, it depends
on my priority queue.

The support of gettext .po files in Localizer make it the most
appealing candidate for the back-end engine, but I figure
that making scripts that makes automatic ZBabel (or others)
versions wouldn't be to hard so there will probably be support for
at least ZBabel.
Most of the work would be in the DTML markup, as Localizer and

ZBabel use different tags. Well, I think a CVS version of ZBabel
supports the Localizer tags too.

Also writing a script to convert the dtml-tags would be trivial, but it would be one more
branch to keep track of in the CVS.

Anyway, internationalizing and localizing Zope is already a lot
of work. To support several tools is even more work. By the way,
I'm curious, why do you want to support several tools?

First of all we got German customers ;-)

Second it might be trivial, if the goal is set to only keep valid
i18n markups in DTML, ZPT and .py files
The translations will be provided in GetText format, implementing them
in ZBabel would have to be someone else's problem :-)
In Localizer I find it very straight forward and it will be my first priority, if there is more work and less request for ZBabel markups it will be droped.

It's going to be more "funny" than you expect, ;-)

Please, keep the list informed with the decisions you take and
the progress of the project, thanks. Maybe you will find some
contributors here..

Most certainly, will do that!

Thank you,

One thing I expect from this project is that, as what has
happened with the ZWiki internationalization, feedback will
be provided to Localizer so it becomes a better product.

Don't forget to add me as a developer to the SourceForge
project, my userid is "jdavid"

Regards,

--
J. David Ibáñez, http://www.j-david.net
Software Engineer / Ingénieur Logiciel / Ingeniero de Software