Re: [Nmh-workers] Need some general advice

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Need some general advice
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 09:47:22 -0400

robert wrote:
 > That is, I simply use ssh (including ssh IP tunnels) to handle all the
 > security issues - I assume that anyone who needs can have an account

i use ssh tunnels in similar ways, though in my case it's to traverse
the bi-directional link between my home server, whose address can
change (and which can't serve SMTP directly), and my colo (which is my
actual MX host).  (i don't really have a "receive mail remotely"
solution -- i simply ssh into the home server and read it "locally"
there.  it serves my purposes.)  all of robert's points about the
flexibility of running your own server are spot on.  for instance, i
deliver copies of all my mail to a Maildir on the colo itself, just
in case i'm away from home for an extended time and the home server or
ISP connection fails.  i can still log into the colo and read the last
month's worth of mail using mutt.  (i could install MH, but it's
really just for emergency use.)

 > The tunnels are maintained by a "while true; do ssh ...; done" script
 > that simply runs on my laptop from when I start it ...

i also wanted to mention that the "while true" loop can be handled by
"autossh".  i like it because i actually use ssh tunnels for quite a
few things, and having a standard one-liner to maintain them is quite
convenient.  http://www.harding.motd.ca/autossh/

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 78.6 degrees)