Re: [Nmh-workers] Need some general advice

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Need some general advice
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 08:52:27 -0400

>    1)  I can try to arrange things so that mail from the remote VM will
>        be sent down to either an SMTP server or something else which
>        runs on my home machine, all via (somehow authenticated) SMTP.
>        Perhaps I can use the SMTP TURN command for this.

I am unsure if modern SMTP servers still support TURN (or ETRN).  I think
you're going to be on the fringe there, because most people do this:

>    2)  I can set things up so that the remote VM will run a POP3 server
>        which I can then (periodically) have something on my home machine
>        authenticate to and then suck pending messages out of in such a way
>        that the NMH "inc" command will be able to get them.

Personally, that's what I do.  Works great.  Except that I don't run my
own POP server; someone else does that.  I suppose you could arrange for
mail to get delivered to your client box, but personally I don't see
the point.  But I suppose it's all what you want to do.

>Before answering, keep in mind that I will likely need to configure the
>SMTP server on the remote VM (postfix) in such a way that my home machine
>will be able to authenticate to it, you know, in order to send outbound
>mail.  (The last time I tried something like this I think I gave up in
>the end because it seemed like too much of a pain in the ass to get the
>authentication all working.  But now I have no choice, and have to make
>it work this time.)

FWIW, nmh supports the client-side of SMTP authentication; you just need to
get it working on the server side.  It looks like Joel gave you some hints
there.