Re: [Nmh-workers] Attach and disposition

From: Earl Hood
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Attach and disposition
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 15:44:44 -0500

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Paul Fox wrote:

>  > If you specify a disposition of
>  > attachment (which we do), you can't complain about gmail doing what you
>  > told it.
>
> au contraire.  i can certainly complain, which is what i did.  and now
> we're talking about how to fix it.

Since the disposition was "attachment", it is perfectly acceptable for
an MUA to require you to save to a file instead of displaying inline.
Otherwise, why even have a content-disposition header?

If your intent is, "display inline if you are able," then the
disposition should have been "inline.".  One should not expect an MUA to
rendering an "attachment" disposition inline (an MUA may still do it,
but the sender should not expect it).

Any "fix" would be to have your message composed so the disposition is
"inline".  I think something like Lyndon's proposal should work.

--ewh