Re: [Nmh-workers] Attach and disposition

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Attach and disposition
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 10:07:12 -0400

>ralph wrote:
> > Are you aware of `forw -mime'?
>
>yes, i am, but i did forget about it yesterday.  i didn't, however,
>know about the #forw mhbuild directive -- i had never looked at how
>"forw -mime" works before today.  no Content-Disposition header is
>generated by #forw.

Just to provide some backstory ...

#forw is a very old directive; it's been around approximately forever (it
was in the original MH code).  The original MH code has zero support for
generating or interpreting a Content-Disposition header, so it's not
surprising that it didn't include one.  However ... it looks like
if you include a disposition marker (e.g., {inline}) in the #forw
statement, it should do the right thing.  Does that work?  Yes, it
does ... although the filename ends up as "inbox nnn nnn ...".

Content-Disposition support was added by David Levine back in 2006; that
was initially just support for generating those headers.  We've slowly
been adding support for it in other ways, and now we will use a filename
there as the suggested name for mhstore and as of 1.6 we'll use the
actual disposition to decide whether or not to display parts in mhshow.

While RFC 2183 says if there is no Content-Disposition header it's up
to the MUA to decide what to do, it seems like in practice a missing
Content-Disposition header is treated the same as "inline".

So, like many things in nmh, it's a hodgepodge of various things implemented
at different points in time by different people :-/