Re: [Nmh-workers] extra and missing blank lines with replyfilter

From: Joel Uckelman
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] extra and missing blank lines with replyfilter
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 13:47:34 -0700

Thus spake Ken Hornstein:
> >I'm sure it's running through par. I have par installed, and when I change
> >the $filterprogram from 'par' to 'cat', I get each paragraph of the reply
> >as one very long line, instead of lines broken at 70-some characters. With
> >cat, however, I'm not losing the inter-paragraph blank lines, nor am I
> >getting blank lines inserted at the beginning.
>
> Okay!  Well, that's good, at least.  That sounds like replyfilter is
> doing what it's supposed to, at least.  So if you take the output of what you
> get with 'cat' and feed it to 'par', does it generate the broken output?

No. When I do that, I get the output I expected to see in the first
place: Nicely formatted paragraphs, lines between them retained, all
quoted with >, and no spurious leading lines.

> If so, then it sounds like par is at fault ... and I'm not sure what I
> can do about that.  Other than suggest you change your par settings.

I need par settings? I don't have any, that I know of.

> Also, if the text is sent with a non-ASCII encoding, maybe there are
> some non-breakable spaces that are messing up par?

I see "charset=us-ascii" in the Content-Type of the MIME part.

Would it help if I sent you the actual message?

--
J.