Re: [Nmh-workers] Dodgy $LINK in generated Makefile

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Dodgy $LINK in generated Makefile
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 08:43:08 -0800

On 2013-02-01, at 8:32 AM, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> Err ... are you sure?  -g is a classic example of something that should be
> in there.

Generally that stuff goes into $DEBUG which is then included in CFLAGS and
LDFLAGS.

> From reading the Autoconf manual, it suggests that while it's technically
> for only the preprocessor pass flags that are only for the object compilation
> phase can be placed in CPPFLAGS.  I was under the impression that since
> CCLD is generally set to $(CC) the C compiler wrapper should ignore flags
> that make no sense during linking.

Not when you have things like -Wa,foo, the -X family, and the like.  I've
always maintained a distinction between CFLAGS and LDFLAGS, using the latter
exclusively during the linking step.  It just seems cleaner to me to do it that
way.