Re: [Nmh-workers] indexing

From: Jeffrey Honig
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] indexing
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 21:17:54 -0500

noting that slocal already links to either db, ndbm, or gdbm (according to
portability logic in the Makefile) i've thought of adding a per-folder index
(so, ~/Mail/inbox/.mh.db or similar) that maps these number sequences to
each other.

I've had some ideas around this in the past for a different reason.

My hacked up bunch of scripts (Mostly migrated from TCL to python) that back-ends fetchmail insures that I only get one copy of a message with a given Message-ID.  This avoids duplicate messages from cross-postings or nested mailing lists.   In my python version I use a simple db database.  In my TCL version I used a directory database (on file per munged msgid).  I've always thought that having a database of messages per MH message store that would be updated when messages are moved.

This could be extended to allow MH commands and other functionality (like threading and sequences) to be used across folders.  There is actually a feature request in the mh-e queue to implement cross-folder threading.

Is there any room in an implementation of this that could maintain a per-folder as well as a per-store database?

BTW, although I use Gmail for sending and receiving most of my personal mail (although I still archive in MH), I use mh-e exclusively for work.  The advanced spam filtering and anywhere access of the cloud sold me on Gmail (runnig mh-e from bbssh on my BB does work, but is painful...).  Whereas for work I prefer to be limited to being in my work environment (having access to my work laptop) to help me try to achieve a work/life balance.

Thanks

Jeff

--
Jeffrey C. Honig <address@hidden>