Re: [Nmh-workers] indexing

From: bergman
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] indexing
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 01:51:33 -0500

The pithy ruminations from Paul Vixie <address@hidden> on Re: [Nmh-workers]
indexing were:

        [SNIP!]

=>more important is performance.  i'd like to be able to know thousands of UIDs
=>in a folder without opening thousands of files to get them.  and, basically,
=>i want MH itself to go faster, and an opportunistic index that made "scan"
=>run at wire speed and made "pick" hundreds of times faster (for header terms;
=>i'm not talking about full body indexing) makes it worthwhile to build the
=>scaffold for this.

Agreed. I've gradually migrated from [n]mh to exmh and lately to Claws-mail
(for MIME and performance) as my primary MUA, but still use nmh command
directly (or from scripts) daily. With ~3.5GB of mail, active folders with 10K+
messages, nmh performance was getting to be a noticible issue.

Claws-mail uses the nmh folder structure, meaning that my existing tools, and
21 years of ingrained [n]mh keystrokes, are still usable, and it means that I
can give it up when [n|ex]mh improve or when I get fed up with some of the
things in the Claws-mail GUI.

Anyway, claws-mail uses per-folder binary indexes of the nmh message store
(messageId, read/unread status, some headers for faster searches) and marked
messags (tagged in the same way as sequences). Perhaps some of that code would
be useful. Claws Mail is distributed under the GPL. See:

        http://www.claws-mail.org/

Mark 'delighted to hear about nmh development, hoping that pointing to existing
code is helpful' Bergman

-----
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand
'94 Yamaha GTS1000A^2
address@hidden

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40panix.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman