Re: [Nmh-workers] unapplied patches

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] unapplied patches
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:16:20 +0000

markus schnalke wrote:
>[2010-12-14 12:29] Oliver Kiddle <address@hidden>
>> Any objections if I apply those? Doesn't git have some ways to preserve
>> details of the actual author of a patch? Or better still, could someone
>> give Meillo permissions on the git repository.
>
>I don't need permissions now as I will be offline from Friday on (will
>write a mail related to that soon), also I think I don't want
>permissions currently. I feel better if you apply patches I propose.
>
>But I do miss my name on stuff I had been involved in. This surely
>affects anyone who contributes in any way. Adding names to commit
>messages or the changelog is sufficient IMO.

I think we should just use the usual git commit message conventions
here, which support having the author of a change and its committer
be different people. There's also the "Signed-off-by: foo" set of
conventions.

So if people without commit access submit patches to this list
using git-format-patch/git-send-email then people with commit
access can easily apply them with git am, and the author
attribution is preserved.

On the future of the ChangeLog -- I agree that with a git commit
log there's no point in manually updating it. We should probably
consider having an automated update from the git log for releases
when we roll tarballs.

-- PMM