Re: [Nmh-workers] unapplied patches

From: markus schnalke
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] unapplied patches
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:15:56 +0100

[2010-12-14 12:29] Oliver Kiddle <address@hidden>
> I've had a look through for any pending patches since the last release.
> Mostly, this is Meillo's recent patches. Does anyone know of any further
> patches that we might apply or rework.

> undo of install-mh
>       Nobody would ever run an uninstall-mh script and I doubt that the
>       person raising the bug was a user looking for it. Most software
>       creates a pile of dot files without even asking these days. If
>       any fix is necessary, I'd vote for a tiny bit more detail in the
>       man page - less than the original patch included.

I agree that the need for a uninstall-mh is low and I had been
convinced that we don't need or even want a program to do the job.

However, I haven't known exactly what install-mh does until I read
through its code. As I think it is worthwhile to know what files do
get installed I vote for extending the man page in this respect. The
mention of `mhpath +` for finding the mail storage had been a very
useful hint for me, thus it may be for others. Remind that users who
run mh-install usually are not very familiar with nmh yet.

> Any objections if I apply those? Doesn't git have some ways to preserve
> details of the actual author of a patch? Or better still, could someone
> give Meillo permissions on the git repository.

I don't need permissions now as I will be offline from Friday on (will
write a mail related to that soon), also I think I don't want
permissions currently. I feel better if you apply patches I propose.

But I do miss my name on stuff I had been involved in. This surely
affects anyone who contributes in any way. Adding names to commit
messages or the changelog is sufficient IMO.

> If I understand correctly, the MIME handling improvments are not yet
> finished?

Rather: It's not yet decided what is considered right for nmh.

meillo