Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.source-tree-cleanup

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.source-tree-cleanup
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 00:49:03 +0100

Am 03.02.11 13:43, schrieb Stephen Leake:
> Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The non-source files for building the win32 installer are modpath.iss,
>> monotone.bmp, and monotone.iss.in. There is also related code in
>> Makefile.am.

>> I'm not strongly opposed to moving those three files to
>> <root>/win32_install (do you have a suggested name?), but I don't see
>> the "consistency" argument.
>
> Perhaps the argument is "files in <root>/src/... are source for the
> executable, not anything else". Similarly, "files in <root>/doc are
> source for the documentation". That makes sense.
>
> Then we could have "files in <root>/packages/... are source for
> distribution packages and/or installers (except Makfile.am goes where
> the autotools need it)". Then we could have:
>
>     <root>/packages/mingw/   3 win32 installer files
>     <root>/packages/cygwin/  1 cygport file
>     <root>/packages/visualc/ renamed from <root>/visualc
>     <root>/packages/mac/     renamed from <root>/mac
>     <root>/packages/debian/  debian stuff
>
> I'm not clear if visualc and mac are "packages" (and thus similar to
> *.iss), or "build tools" (and thus similar to Makefile.am). Either way,
> I suggest they belong in <root>/packages.
>
> Perhaps <root>/distros instead of <root>/packages.
>
> It might be good to add some of the rationale for the directory tree to
> HACKING. But I guess it's pretty clear (I did figure it out with only a
> little thought :).

Lets do it simple, lets name it "innosetup". I don't think a "packages/"
tree is a good idea, because as you already said, not everything about
packages - the visualc files for example just contain the needed stuff
for a different build environment.

I also hunted for a general top-level directory for all these things at
first, but I have to admit that this wish was merely driven to make it
really look "perfect", but it doesn't actually buy us that much. The
most important things for me in this branch are actually the sane src/
and test/ setup. The doc/ cleanup is already a plus.

Another thing which lately landed on our todo was the contrib/ cleanup
[0]. This will consume lots of time and given the fact that we want to
come to an end some time we might even think about moving it to "later"
if it turns out to be too much work (Q1 ends in roughly 8 weeks). Again,
a question of perfectionism...

Thomas.

[0] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.monotone.devel/18657